Monday 2 December 2019

The places I emails 
Website welcome@titanicbelfast.com (I emailed them twice)






Hello 

My name is Annabelle Thorpe - Hall I am a year 8 student (12 years old) At Campion College
Gisborne New Zealand. I am doing a Horrible Histories school project about the Titanic. 
I would love to ask you some questions if you have got time to answer. I would really appreciate it.
Was the owner of the Titanic sued?
What effects did the sinking of the Titanic have on the owner?
How much money did the owner of the Titanic lose after the ship went down?
Do you know what art works were displayed on the Titanic?
I read that there were 9 dogs onboard the Titanic is that true and do you know if their were
any other animals?
Thank you for your time.
Annabelle Thorpe - Hall 



Hello
My name is Annabelle Thorpe - Hall I am a year 8 student (12 years old) At Campion College Gisborne New
Zealand. I am doing a Horrible Histories school project about the Titanic. Whilst I was doing some research
on the internet I discovered that there was a whole Museum on the Titanic and I would love to visit but can't
because I live too far away! I would love to ask you some questions if you have got time to answer.
I would really appreciate it.
Was the owner of the Titanic sued?
What effects did the sinking of the Titanic have on the owner?
How much money did the owner of the Titanic lose after the ship went down?
Why did the owner of the Titanic believed that there was no way that the ship would ever sink?
What was the last meal that was served on the Titanic?
Do you know what art works were displayed on the Titanic?
I read that there were 9 dogs onboard the Titanic is that true and do you know if their were any other animals?
What is your roll at the Museum?
Thank you for your time.
Annabelle Thorpe - Hall 

I emailed 7 different places and had no luck
I have an email back from 1 that I sent.

Hi Annabelle,

I am glad to see someone young wanting to learn about the Titanic. My name is Phill Kleppen. I am a member of the Titanic Historical Society since April 1998 & a volunteer for the Molly Brown House Museum since 2002. Titanic has become hobby. 
Let me see if I can help you with your questions.


On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 02:38:02 PM MST, Heather Pressman <hpressman@mollybrown.org> wrote:


These are the questions she’s looking to get answered:
1. Was the owner of the Titanic sued? & How much money did the owner of the Titanic lose after the ship went down?

I put these 2 together as the relate to each other. Most people would say that Joseph Bruce Ismay was the owner of Titanic. His father, Thomas Ismay founded the White Star line. After Thomas' death J Bruce Ismay took over the company. In 1902, John Pierpont Morgan, an American financier, steel magnate, & railway baron, along with his International Mercantile Marine Company, IMM, bought the White Star Line from J Bruce Ismay. So, now the line is British-run but American-owned. This action makes J P Morgan the owner of Titanic when it is built. The White Star Line was sued & in 1916 paid out $2.5 million in damages. Was the owner sued? J P Morgan died in 1913. 
2. What effects did the sinking of the Titanic have on the owner?

J P Morgan toured the ship while it was under construction & was shown where his stateroom was on B Deck & was supposed to be a passenger on the maiden voyage but took ill before it set sail. After he heard of the sinking it was a great shock to him & with the two hearing he had to testify later in 1912 it put him in a depression. This was not how he wanted to seen his final years.

3. Do you know what art works were displayed on the Titanic?

To help me not to have to type out each item, here are some examples;

A stunning jewelled edition of The Rubaiyat was lost in the ship, which was a collection of 1,000 poems by Omar Khayyam, an 11th century Persian mathematician and astronomer. The binding of the book was set in gold and contained 1,500 precious stones. It was being transported by RMS Titanic to an American buyer, and was expected to be sold at auction in March 1912 for $1,900 – a significant sum at the time.

Some Titanic passengers, however, did make claims for their lost art. Haken Bjornstrom-Steffansen, who did not board the ill-fated ship, claimed $100,000 for a valuable 4′ x 8′ painting by Blondel, entitled ‘La Circassienene au Bain’. Emilio Portaluppi, a first class passenger aboard the ship, also made a claim for $3,000 for an autographed portrait of Garibaldi.

Francis Davis Millet was one of the highest profile passengers to lose his life aboard RMS Titanic, and many of his famous artworks unfortunately sank with the ship.


4. I read that there were 9 dogs onboard the Titanic is that true and do you know if their were any other animals?
I have heard that there was 12 dogs, a cat, a canary, & a few hens. Only 3 dogs survived. Only 1st class passengers were allowed to have pets. The hens were coming to America to help to improve the breeding of the passengers farm.

I hope this helps you out on your report. 

If you would could you send us a copy of your final report? I know everyone here would love to see it.

Thanks for your interest.

Phill Kleppen
We have a young lady from New Zealand who has some questions about the Titanic.  Are you able to answer any of these?

Heather Pressman
Director of Learning & Engagement
Historic Denver Inc.'s
Molly Brown House Museum
1340 Pennsylvania Street
Denver, CO 80203
303-832-4092 ext.17
www.mollybrown.org






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.