Monday 26 August 2019

Memories of the Civil War

Memories of the Civil War
Things we need to know :
Who / what are the Springboks?
The springboks are a south african rugby team. 
What is apartheid?
Apartheid is a rule of unfairness of races in south Africa.
What was the Gleneagles agreement?
The gleneagles was an agreement of the commonwealth and prime ministers. 

Understanding the poem:
  • Which royal wedding was mentioned in the poem?
The wedding that was mentioned was Princess Diana’s wedding.  
What is ‘standard one’?
Standard is year 3 

‘Pro-rugby’, ‘pro-tour’ - what does it mean to be ‘pro’ something?
You are for the tour or the rugby
Why might Joeli have been terrified of loud noises?
Can you find evidence in the poem that supports this?
Joeli was terrified of loud noises because she had come from a
country that there were lots of bombs been let off and lots of gun fires 
What is your opinion?
What is your opinion?
Should the 1981 Springbok Tour of New Zealand taken place? 
Explain your opinion.
I am not sure if it should have happened but I feel I would have been
better if they had not come but here are some reasons for both. 
There are good reasons to be for it because if they hadn't come south
africa shouldn't have realised how wrong they were and they would have
probably still be racist towards that own people and kind. Also NZ was a
big part in stopping them. 
But there are also very good reasons to be against it because we signed
the gleneagles agreement and we should have stuck with it. 
My poem on the hawke's bay earthquake (1931)
When the earthquake happened 
I had been up for a few hours
I could see the building around me falling down 
Like the game I used to play (dominos)
The sound was so loud it was deafening 
My mum was telling me to 
GET under a door frame 
I remembered  what on of my 
Teachers had told us to do if there is an 
Earthquake 
I ran as fast as I could without getting hit 
By the things flying off the kitchen shelves 
Mums big brown bowls where all over the ground 
I was as scared as a fish that had been brought out of water 
The earthquake seemed as if it had gone on forever.
It was too dangerous for anyone to move so when the shaking stopped
The sound of sirens filled the air 
By Annabelle 





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Annabelle my name is Tristan I am a South African and I know a lot about apartheid by the way I think you should stick to one subject instead of 7 subjects.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.